UCLA PD Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a crime?
If it is an emergency, call 9-1-1. For all non-emergency calls, the first thing you should do is call the police department for assistance and guidance about reporting a crime under your particular circumstances. You can reach our dispatch center at (310) 825-1491.

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?
Requests for copies of Police Reports must be made in writing. Follow the link to obtain a Police Report Request Form. Please allow three to five working days to process your request. Requests may be made in person or mailed to:

University of California Los Angeles Police Department
Records Division
601 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095

Back to Top

UCLA Police Officers carry tasers (Electronic Control Devices); in what situations can they be used?
Electronic Control Devices (ECDs) should only be used against persons who are actively resisting or exhibiting active aggression or to prevent individuals from harming themselves or others. The use of an ECD is not allowed on subjects engaged in passive resistance. The ECD may be used in the following circumstances:

a. In cases in which force is legally justified to prevent the reasonably foreseeable threat or actual attempted assault, battery and/or injury (both primary – e.g., stab wound, and secondary – e.g., muscle sprain or other skeletal injury) to officers, other persons and/or the subject; or
b. In cases where officer versus subject factors reasonably indicate that the officers, subject and/or other persons are likely to be endangered by the use of force by the subject; recognizing that deployments against persons may be very dynamic in nature.
c. During Department authorized training programs and/or demonstrations.

In addition, the California Penal Code § 835 (a) provides that:

“Any peace officer who has reasonable cause to believe that the person to be arrested has committed a public offense may use reasonable force to (1) effect the arrest, (2) prevent escape or (3) overcome resistance. A peace officer, who makes or attempts to make an arrest, need not retreat or desist from his efforts by reason of resistance or threatened resistance of the person being arrested; nor shall such officer be deemed an aggressor or lose his right to self-defense by the use of reasonable force to effect the arrest or to prevent escape or to overcome resistance.”

There are two types of deployment methods: probe and drive stun. Officers may use an ECD in the probe mode when circumstances known to and perceived by the officer at the time indicate that the application of the ECD in probe mode is reasonable to subdue or control the following:

a. A subject exhibiting active aggression;
b. A subject that is actively resisting;
c. A dangerous animal.

The use of an ECD in drive stun mode will not reliably or foreseeably incapacitate the subject. Officers will not use ECDs in drive stun mode if they reasonably believe that discomfort will not cause the subject to be compliant with the officers.

Officers may use an ECD in a drive stun capacity, as a pain control technique in the following situations:

a. To eliminate active aggression or active resistance from an arrestee in accomplishing an arrest or physical search.
b. To stop a dangerous animal.

As defined in the UCLA Policy Manual:

Force – Any physical effort used to control, restrain or overcome the resistance of another. The proper application of force requires careful attention to the facts and circumstances of each particular case, including the severity of the crime at issue, whether the suspect poses an immediate threat to the safety of the officers or others and whether the subject is actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight.

Passive Resistance – Physical actions that do not prevent the officer’s attempt to control, for example, an individual subject who remains in a sitting, standing, limp or prone position with no physical contact (e.g. locked arms) with other individuals. An individual in handcuffs meets the definition of passive resistance if: (a) the individual is in a sitting, standing or prone position and is not engaged in any motion intended to injure, resist, or remove the handcuffs; or (b) the individual is walking (but not running) with the accompaniment of an officer. An individual who, while sitting or standing, has locked arms with another individual is not engaged in passive resistance but is engaged in proactive action to obstruct. An individual subject who has previously engaged in passive resistance or other passive behavior such as walking, as an individual, but who subsequently engages in behavior such as flailing, kicking, elbowing, head-butting, biting, shoving, jerking, or other action that an officer interprets as a threat or actual act of active resistance is no longer considered to be engaging in passive resistance.

Back to Top

What is the legal blade length for a folding knife that I can possess on campus?
The law that applies to knives on campus is 626.10(b) of the California Penal Code, which states:

(b) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in this state, a person summoned by any officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while the person is actually engaged in assisting any officer, or a member of the military forces of this state or the United States who is engaged in the performance of his or her duties, who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick, or knife having a fixed blade longer than 2 1/2 inches upon the grounds of, or within, any private university, the University of California, the California State University, or the California Community Colleges is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.

If a knife with a locking blade is locked in the open position, it is considered a fixed blade.

What happens if I am arrested by UCLA PD?

It really depends on what you are arrested for. Typically, if you are arrested for a misdemeanor, you will be handcuffed and transported to the police station. You may spend time in a holding cell during the booking process, which consists of being fingerprinted, photographed and issued a booking number. You will be released when the booking process is complete and only if you sign a written notice to appear. This process typically takes about an hour.

The process is a little different if you are arrested for a felony. Again, you will be handcuffed and transported to the police station. You will spend time in a holding cell during the booking process, which consists of being fingerprinted, photographed and issued a booking number. Because UCPD does not have a jail, you will be transported to a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department jail. While in jail, you may be afforded the opportunity of being released on your own recognizance (OR’ed), you may make arrangements to post bail or you may remain in custody until your arraignment.

Back to Top

I live off campus. Can I report a crime to UCLA Police?
A police report should be filed in the city or jurisdiction where the crime occurred. However, if you are a UCLA student, staff or faculty member, and the incident occurred in the vicinity of the campus or UCLA properties, we can take your report.

Is UCLA a safe campus?

The safety of the campus community is our priority. We believe our campus is generally safe; however, we are part of a large urban community and a public institution so individuals must do their part to prevent victimization. UCPD has many resources to help you determine if UCLA meets your expectations of safety. Please visit the Reports & Statistics site for the UC Annual Report & Jeanne Clery Reports for crime information and statistics occurring on and around the UCLA campus. Please visit the Crime Prevention site for information on crime prevention programs and safety tips.

How do I protect my property from theft?
Many of the thefts that occur on campus can be prevented by securing your property and never leaving your property unattended.

UCLA PD has many brochures on personal safety as well as property protection. Please visit the Crime Prevention Brochures & Information site for literature regarding safety and prevention.

The S.T.O.P. Plate program is offered as a service by the UCLA PD, through the CSO Programs, as a crime reduction initiative. Laptop theft, and the theft of other highly portable and easily re-sellable electronic items, is one of the most persistent crime threats on campus. By encouraging the use of theft deterrent systems like the S.T.O.P. program, UCLA PD hopes to reduce the number of thefts on campus and discourage opportunistic laptop thieves.

Back to Top

I lost my property. How do I found out if it has been turned into Lost and Found?
If you think you have lost something on-campus, you should call the Lost & Found department in that specific area. There are many Lost & Found departments located throughout the campus. Each Lost & Found department is responsible for keeping items for a minimum of 90 days. After 90 days, all items are given to UCLA PD for disposal.

A small amount of items are turned into the UCLA PD Lost & Found directly, where they are also kept for 90 days and then disposed of. You can call us at (310) 825-1227 and leave a message to report the item as lost. Follow the link to report or search for lost or found property.

If you have lost keys, sunglasses or prescription glasses, we cannot check for these items since we receive so many of them. If you wish to check for these items, you need to come to the front counter of the Police Department located at 11000 Kinross Ave, Los Angeles.

What do I do with the property I found?
Turn found property into UCLA PD Monday - Friday, located at 11000 Kinross Ave, Los Angeles, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. If you would like to keep the item if no owner is found all applicable laws must be followed.

How do I get fingerprinted for school or work?
The UCLA Police Department takes fingerprints for campus affiliates as well as the general public. Live Scan services are available by direct cost or by recharge. Fingerprinting is conducted by APPOINTMENT ONLY — no walk-ins. Fingerprinting services are not available on major holidays and University designated holidays.

The cost for Live Scan services includes a rolling fee (which varies per Live Scan location), plus applicable State and Federal charges. The rates are currently as follows

  • Rolling fee: $25
  • DOJ (Department of Justice) charge: $32
  • FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) charge: $19

All rates are subject to change depending on the type of application being processed. You will be advised of the cost once you arrive and information provided on your form has been entered into the computer. The cost for ink rolled prints and cards is $25.

Applicants who are required to be fingerprinted, either as a condition of employment or for professional license application, must bring a valid driver’s license, state ID card or current passport.

Back to Top

How do I request a ride along with the police department?
This program is available to members of the community who are interested in riding along with a Police Officer during a tour of duty. During the "ride along" the participant will become acquainted with various duties and tasks performed by the Officer.

Before starting the ride along, participants must sign a waiver of liability. The minimum age for participating is 14 years. A waiver for participants under the age of 18 must be signed by a parent or guardian and witnessed by a member of the UCLA Police Department. No cameras or tape recorders will be allowed. Every attempt will be made to accommodate interested persons; however any applicant may be disqualified without cause. The following factors may be considered in disqualifying an applicant and are not limited to:

  • Being under the age of 18
  • Prior criminal history
  • Pending criminal action
  • Pending lawsuit against the department
After the ride along, we ask each participant to fill out an evaluation form with their comments on the program.

Arrangements to ride along may be made by calling the UCLA Police Department at (310) 825-1491, and ask to sign up for A Ride-Along. Applications must be returned in person to the UCLA Police Department.

How do I arrange for a crime prevention presentation?
UCLA PD provides presentations to the campus community on many safety related topics. Presentations can also be individually designed for specific audiences that combine topics or address specific concerns and issues. For more information call Officer Luis De Vivero at the Crime Prevention Office, (310) 825-6111.

How do I get my car out of impound?
Contact the Watch Commander at (310) 825-1491 or at the police station located at 601 Westwood Plaza for vehicle releases. The registered owner must present proof of valid registration and insurance. Vehicles will only be released to licensed drivers and proof of such is required.

Back to Top

UCLA Police Department
Email: info@ucpd.ucla.edu
Phone: (310) 825-1491
Fax: (310) 206-2550
Mail Code: 136408

601 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1364

Business Hours
Monday – Friday 8 a. m. to 5 p. m.

Station Hours
24 hours a day, 7 days a week