Applications and information regarding opportunities as a student Community Service officer with the UCLA Police Department may be obtained in person at our office or via download here. Our office hours are between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Applications can be hand delivered or mailed to our office at the address below or emailed to CSOHiring@ucpd.ucla.edu:
UCLA Police Department
601 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, California, 90095-1364
Under the direction of a CSO Supervisor, CSOs perform three basic functions:
- they act as a deterrent to crime,
- function as a liaison with emergency services, and
- are an information source to the campus community and its visitors.
CSOs are a key factor in campus safety, and are able to contact other CSOs and the police, campus ambulance and fire department through UCLA Dispatcher via radio. CSOs are trained to use radios to pass along information from their own observations or from the community to ensure that the proper response gets to the proper location in a minimum amount of time. CSOs have the opportunity to participate in a number of assignments such as evening escorts, bicycle patrol, residence hall patrol, library patrol, building security and access, and various special events, including concerts and football games. Promotional positions include bike patrol, dispatcher, field training officer and supervisor. Over 40% of CSOs are in promoted positions.
- $18.50 - $23.13/hour
- All CSOs start at $18.50/hour, plus an additional $.62/hour for shifts that require 4 or more hours worked after 5 p.m.
Potential CSO applicants must meet the following qualifications in order to submit an application for employment with the CSO Programs:
- You must be a full-time UCLA student (UCLA Extension students do not qualify unless you are a Winter Bruin).
- You must be able to work legally while a student at UCLA.
- You must have at least one academic year remaining at UCLA.
- You must have at least a 2.0 GPA (use your high school GPA if no UCLA or college GPA is available at this point) and are in good standing with the University.
- You must have a valid Class C Driver’s license, or be able to drive legally within the state of California.
- You must be able to work a minimum of 15 hours a week.
- You must not have criminal history of any kind within the past year.
- You must not have a criminal history of a felony nature.
- You must not be dually employed with another department at UCLA while employed at the CSO Programs.
- You must complete all portions of the application.
Community Service Officers are required to pass a three step hiring process that includes the application, an interview and a background check.
The testing process begins with the application. The application is graded on a standard point scale. Applicants who score high enough on the application will be invited to an interview. The interview is likewise scored and judged on the basis of the following criteria:
- possession of analytical and decision making skills to identify problems, weigh solutions, recognize alternatives and their implications independently and quickly
- possession of interpersonal skills to interact with a diverse public consisting of students, faculty, staff, visitors and immediate surrounding communities
- skill in speaking clearly using appropriate vocabulary to provide information to the public or via radio to responding emergency personnel
Successful interviewees will be checked for a criminal history, valid driver's license and appropriate references.
Candidates are assembled into hiring classes and hired as a group.
UCPD, a standard of excellence in law enforcement, serves a multi-cultural, educational environment of over 70,000 faculty, staff and students. It is a part of the statewide UC Police System of about 300 sworn personnel. We take pride in our cultural and ethnic diversity and strive to employ a broad cross-section of the community. The department employs about 62 sworn officers, 46 civilians and 130 students.
UCLA CSO Programs
Phone: (310) 825-4774
Fax: (310) 206-2550
Mail Code: 136408
601 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1364
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
24 hours a day, 7 days a week