Commendations & Complaint Procedures
The University of California Police Department conducts itself according to the following core values:
- Accountability: Holding ourselves responsible for our behavior and performance.
- Respect: Safeguarding the rights, differences and dignity of all.
- Integrity: Consistently conducting ourselves according to high standards of behavior.
- Service: Ensuring the well being of our community by proactively meeting its needs.
- Excellence: Striving to achieve the highest levels of professional performance.
A relationship of trust and confidence between members of the University of California Police and the community we serve is essential to effective law enforcement. Law enforcement officers must be free to exercise their best judgment and to initiate law enforcement action in a reasonable, lawful and impartial manner, without fear of reprisal. Likewise, officers have a special obligation to respect the rights of all persons.
The University of California Police Department acknowledges its responsibility to establish a system of complaint and disciplinary procedures which not only subject the officer to corrective action when he/she conducts himself/herself improperly, but also will protect him/her from unwarranted criticism when he/she discharges his/her duties properly. It is the purpose of these procedures to provide a prompt, equitable, open and expeditious disposition of complaints regarding the conduct of members of the Department.
To this end, the University of California Police Department welcomes from members of the community constructive criticism of the Department and complaints against its members or procedures.
We also appreciate and welcome commendations and other comments from members of the public. To ensure excellent service is recognized and modeled, it is important for us to hear about our community's experiences.
How do I make a complaint?
A complaint form is provided in the Related Information Box (to the left). Return the completed form in person or by mail. The Police Station is located at 601 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095. The completed complaint form can also be received by facsimile at (310) 206-2058.
Must a complaint be made in person?
An initial complaint may be made by telephone or by mail, however, you will be asked to complete and sign a written form, as well as be interviewed by an investigator.
Are there any restrictions on making a complaint?
A complaint should be made as soon after the incident as practical. Complaints made after thirty (30) days from the incident may not be accepted unless valid reasons exist.
Will my complaint be investigated?
Each complaint is read and assigned by the Chief of Police or his/her designee to be completely and thoroughly investigated by a UCLA police supervisor.
Will action be taken against the officer?
If an officer’s actions have violated departmental rules or regulations, or other policies or laws, appropriate action will be taken.
Where can I get data about complaints made against UCLA Police Department personnel?
Listed below are the complaints received from the public and their dispositions for the last three years.
- Affiliated: UCLA Student, Staff, or Faculty
- Non-Affiliated: All other individuals
- Unfounded: When the investigation discloses that the alleged act(s) did not occur or did not involve Department personnel. Complaints which are determined to be frivolous will fall within the classification of unfounded.
- Exonerated: When the investigation discloses that the alleged act occurred, but that the act was justified, lawful and/or proper.
- Not Sustained: When the investigation discloses that there is insufficient evidence to sustain the complaint or fully exonerate the employee.
- Sustained: When the investigation discloses sufficient evidence to establish that the act occurred and that it constituted misconduct.
The Complaint Types are determined based on the UCLA Police Department's Standards of Conduct. Please click the link on the left for all of the Standards of Conduct.
|Non-Affiliated||Failed to take report||2018||SUSTAINED|
|Non-Affiliated||Failed to take proper action||2018||UNFOUNDED|
|Non-Affiliated||Failed to take a report||2018||UNFOUNDED|
|Non-Affiliated||Exceeding lawful authority||2018||Pending|
|Non-Affiliated||Failure to take action||2017||NOT SUSTAINED|
|Non-Affiliated||Dereliction of duty/harassment||2017||UNFOUNDED|
|Non-Affiliated||Rude/Refusing to help||2017||UNFOUNDED|
|Non-Affiliated||Exercised unlawful authority|
|Non Affiliated||Excessive force||2016||UNFOUNDED|
|Non-Affiliated||Excessive force||2016||NOT SUSTAINED|
|Non-Affiliated||Excessive force/Improper conduct||2016||UNFOUNDED|
|Non-Affiliated||Improper remarks||2016||NOT SUSTAINED|
|Affiliated||Theft under color of authority||2016||UNFOUNDED|
A commendation form is provided in the Related Information Box (to the right). The commendation forms can be in person, by mail or facsimile. The Police Station is located at 601 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095. Submit by facsimile at (310) 206-2058.
UCLA Police Department
Phone: (310) 825-1491
Fax: (310) 206-2550
Mail Code: 136408
601 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1364
Monday – Friday 8 a. m. to 5 p. m.Station Hours
24 hours a day, 7 days a week