Emergency Medical Technician Ride-Alongs
UCLA EMS IS AGAIN OFFERING RIDE-ALONGS!
PLEASE SEE INFORMATION BELOW FOR CURRENT COVID-19 PROTOCOL AND INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING.
At the discretion of the EMS Manager, UCLA EMS offers ride-alongs to UCLA students, staff and faculty wishing to learn more about the campus ambulance program or emergency medical services in general. These ride-alongs are for observation only. Regardless of medical training, our ride-along participants cannot assist in patient care.
UCLA EMS ride-alongs do not qualify for credit for EMT training programs. The reason is that our call volume does not meet many EMT training program's requirements, and we cannot allow students to play an active role in patient care.
Ride-alongs are typically scheduled for weekdays between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m., however requests for other days and times may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Upon arrival for your ride-along shift, you will be required to sign a liability waiver and agree to a routine wants and warrants check by the on-duty watch commander. All ride-along participants must be 18 years of age or older. Please have your Bruin Card & driver's license with you when you report for your ride-along.
For the safety and well-being of the university community as well as the employees of UCPD and UCLA Emergency Medical Services (UCLA EMS), certain requirements (including COVID-19 requirements) are necessary for all UCLA EMS Ride-Alongs.
- Currently only UCLA affiliated Students, Staff & Faculty are permitted to participate in UCLA EMS Ride-Alongs.
- Ride-Along participants must be fully vaccinated and up to date, per the current UCLA COVID-19 Vaccine Policy.
- On the day of a scheduled ride-along (Prior to reporting for a ride-along), ride-alongs shall complete the UCLA Qualtrics COVID-19 Symptom Monitor, and provide UCPD personnel proof of “Cleared” status upon arrival.
- Face masks are required to be worn during ride-alongs.
Prior to scheduling a ride-along, individuals must complete HIPAA training, and submit HIPAA training Course Completion and Statement of Confidentiality to the EMS Manager.
- White colored button-down or polo type shirt (no visible) logo's or lettering.
- Black or dark blue pants (no jeans, track pants, or sweat pants).
- Black or brown shoes or boots, or all white tennis shoes.
UCLA EMS Ride-Alongs may be scheduled by emailing the EMS Manager at email@example.com.
UCLA Emergency Medical Services
Phone: (310) 206-8886
Fax: (310) 206-6812
Mail Code: 136408
601 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1364
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.Station Hours
24 hours a day, 7 days a week